Tuesday, August 26, 2008

World's Greatest Banana Bread




OK, so that may be an extreme opinion but it is super good. I like a soft and not dry banana bread and this one is extremely moist. My hubby ate about half a small loaf last night and was on the hunt for the rest. I sent one loaf across the street to MIL to have as I had a ton of bananas. My local market had huge bas of bananas for $1.25, there were about 20 bananas in the bag so I used half and froze the rest for later. Bananas are about 75 cents a pound here so I felt like I had a bananaza (ha). I got this recipe from recipezarr.com and tweaked it only slightly. I am finding they offer better recipes then allrecipe.com. I have a ton of cookbooks and I collect them but it just seems i prefer to get them online as i have more variety and can compare ingredients easier. I like reading peoples reviews as well to see what worked for other people. Here you go;




Ingredients for one loaf pan



1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour



2 teaspoons baking powder



1/2 teaspoon baking soda



1/2 teaspoon salt



1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground



1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground



1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated



1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)




1/2 cup walnuts



1/2 cup butter



3/4 cup sugar



2 large eggs



1 1/2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (4 medium)


Directions



Preheat oven to 350°F.



Grease 9 x 5 inch loaf pan or use cooking spray


Sift flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg together in bowl.



Add lemon zest



Stir until combined.




Set aside.




Beat butter in large mixing bowl until soft and creamy.


Beat in sugar until light and fluffy.


Add eggs and beat until thoroughly blended.


Beat in flour mixture alternately with bananas until mixture is well blended.




Add walnuts and mix in by hand unless you have a big mixer.


Pour into prepared pan.


Bake in center of oven 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.




It gets better the longer you leave it alone. It is perfect the next day.


Invert from pan and cool completely on rack.




I used my silicone loaf pan as I LOVE silicone bake ware as it usually is super easy clean up however, the bread went wide instead of up. so the silicone gives to much for breads I have metal for yeast breads so I will need to use it for banana bread as well. I hope you like it :)

No comments: