Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting!


Ok, I am proud of my cake. It is a football helmet with a removable faceplate. I was trying to decide what to use it for when the Packers made a giant oopsie. I did a Jets cake, just for fun. My MIL & FIL are coming over for dinner and I though it would be a fun dessert. I made a chocolate cake and let it cool then I put a crumb coating of cream cheese frosting on it and put it in the fridge for the night. I took it out in the morning and let it get to room temp before smoothing it out and adding a fondant layer. The cake must not be cold or you WILL have fondant problems. Also please note that fondant really shouldn’t be put in the fridge unless you have no choice and it makes it gummy and doesn’t form properly. Trust me; I learned this the hard way! I used a cake recipe I got from foodnetwork.com
.

Chocolate cake

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 3/4 cups brown sugar

3/4 cup cocoa

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1/4 c vegetable oil

1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and slowly whisk in wet ingredients. This will be very loose. Don’t worry it bakes up perfect. Pour into greased 9 by 12-inch baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool. If you are baking a large pan or a specialty pan cook as 325 for 50-80 minutes

I used my favorite cream cheese recipe as I thought it just sounded good and I had a package of cream cheese that I needed to use.


8 ounces cream cheese softened
1 stick unsalted butter softened

1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Cream the butter, cream cheese and vanilla till fluffy. Slowly add the sugar with the mixer on low so you don’t make a giant mess. To make a crumb coating use it while still freshly made as it is much easier to smooth out.


For the rest of the dinner I am going simple stuffed baked pork chops and sweet potato casserole but (hopefully) the star will be my cake as I am really working on improving my decorating skills.

1 comment:

ecofox said...

Your blog title should say "Trying to be an Organic Mom".