Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fresh Fettuccine in a lite sauce


Yumm, fresh pasta! I decided to make a fettuccine as I like hearty pasta when it is fresh made. My kids aren’t picky but if they don’t like it they don’t have to eat it. I am not a short order cook - I make 1 dinner not 5. :) My daughter often eats a bite or two but that it but this she came back and asked for more! Even hubby was surprised by that. I did a simple smooth tomato and garlic smooth sauce as I wanted the pasta to shine. It would have been prettier if I had some fresh basil to scatter but alas my black thumb has struck again and my basil has DIED (again). One of these days I will give up but for now….. I did a simple Mario pasta;

3 c AP flour

4 eggs

1 splash water

Put the flour in a large bowl, make a well and put the eggs in the middle and beat the eggs first then start incorporating the egg into the flour. If it is wet add more flour if it seems dry add a bit of water. Mine seemed dry so I added about ½ teaspoon water and it was perfect. I knead it in the bowl as well just to make cleanup easier. Knead it for a few minutes until it is smooth and somewhat elasticity. Let it rest for 15 to 20 min at least. I let it rest for about 2 hours as I made it ahead of time and was perfect. I let the remainder rest for about 8 hrs as I had some left over dough and was curious. It changed to a darker color and deeper smell that I did not find a good smell. J So I didn’t make pasta with the over rested section. Make sure that you seal it airtight to rest, either with cling wrap or a covered bowl, it helps to keep it moist as you don’t want it to dry out. Keep a wet towel over the waiting portion if you don’t have a tight fitting lid so that while you are rolling out sections you can take your time. I made a super simple sauce so the pasta would stand out. I also had some Italian bread I smeared with garlic I had grated and some unsalted butter I popped into the broiler till edges were crispy.

No comments: