Wednesday, February 20, 2008

TREAT DAY

Today is Wednesday so that means treat day. I try to have him take something yummyish every week. It seems to help them to relax a little bit so this week I made a spiced pumpkin cookie with vanilla sugar icing. I left one batch in the oven a little long, about 20 min extra, but it still came out great in fact my husband ate all the crispy bottomed ones first. I use a cookie scoop that is about a tablespoon size. These hardly spread at all so you can fit a lot on the cookie sheet my first batch I put them few and far between but the next time I fit 16 on a medium size sheet. The dough doesn’t look like cookie dough it is very light and fluffy. The cookies are also very airy and light. My changes are in bold


Pumpkin Spiced and Iced Cookies (Adapted from Nestle)

For the cookie batter

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
I used 1T of pumpkin pie spice instead of all the different types
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
8 tablespoons spectrum organic shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups mashed pumpkin
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
Dark block of chocolate 3.2 oz chopped up
1/2 c chopped walnuts


For the glaze1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
4 T milk I just kept adding till it was smooth and creamy
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375

To make the cookie batter
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Slowly mix in the flour mixture and beat until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.Scoop out dough using a tablespoon cookie scoop and place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, about 13-18 minutes. 16 min was perfectRemove and let cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.To make the glazeIn a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cookies.
Makes about 66 cookies. It only made about 30 cookies for me. I don’t know how they got so many as I wound up with smallish cookies about 1 inch across. My husband really, really loved these. He likes pumpkin pie so i assume...


I again used all organic including the canned pumpkin I got from Whole Foods.


If I am feeling bold I may start adding pictures but for now i am dreadful at taking pictures.

No comments: