Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Making Hamburger Buns

Well I was going to my mothers house sunday afternoon, I always want to make something to bring. I try to make something divine but last time i made a very rich and i mean VERY rich carrot cake that was roll your eyes back good but my stepdad is a dieabetic and i put his sugar really high. He only ate a tiny piece,i swear i like him. I decided to make hamburger buns because mom is making sloppy joes i offered to cook something else but that is what she wanted. I thought i would make the buns in the bread machine and try something new. I love my bread machine for kneading it enables me to get alot more done while it works. I always bake it in the oven even if i am just making plain bread. I didn't use a good recipe for it to be a soft light roll. It did however make a wonderful harder roll. I used a egg wash and added some sesame seeds so thye seemed more like packaged bread. My mom is a big fan of processed foods so i try to make it resemble what she likes.

Hamburger Buns
1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
21/4 teaspoons instant yeast
Egg wash
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

In a small saucepan, add milk, 1 cup water, sugar, butter and salt. Heat over low just until the butter melts - cool to lukewarm.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour with the yeast.Pour the milk mixture into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the flour/yeast mixture, 1 cup at a time, until all 3 cups are in, beating until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make stiff dough.Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes), adding enough of the remaining flour to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. Move dough into a large bowl lightly coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 60 minutes.Uncover and punch down the dough. Evenly divide into 12-16 pieces, depending on how large you want the buns to be. Form each piece into a tight ball and place about 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet - you may need to use 2 sheets depending on the size. Slightly flatten each ball. Cover and let rise until doubled - another 30 to 45 minutes.Preheat oven to 400In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water. Gently brush egg wash over each bun.Bake about 20-25 minutes, until golden and they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
I got the recipe from http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/06/hamburger-buns.html . It came out delish but i couldn't change it to a bread machine it just wound up getting a wee bit tough. Next time i will just do it 100 percent by hand.

Of course, i used unbleached organic flour and organic butter. I used farm freash local eggs. My salt is a natual sea salt that is a browish color that is lovely. I also use fair trade sugar.

This is my very first post so i plan to get better and if anyone asks i will post the carrot cake recipe. I hope that you will visit again as my posts will get better as i learn how to do this:).

No comments: