Saturday, April 12, 2008

Slow Cooked veggie soup - hubby approved!!

I was startled to realize how long it has been since I posted. I have been busy looking for the perfect new fridge. I found one!!!!! I am super excited. I also got a new dishwasher, soon I will have a whole new kitchen. Today I have 2 sick kids and a husband that is crankier then the kids so i needed something that i wouldn't have to think about but could cook thru the day. I rarely use my slow cooker, I have no clue why as it is a wonderful appliance and super handy. So today was the a soup kinda day. With my new fridge coming I needed to use up my food so that it will be no big deal to switch over. This soup was so good my hubby ate 2 bowls! He even paid me a compliment, which is not normal.

Amanda's Great When You Feel Cruddy Soup (working on the name)

24 oz chicken stock (canned or homemade) could use veggie stock if want meat free

1 onion chopped

7 stalks of chopped celery I used the leaves too

1/2 yellow pepper

1/4 orange pepper

1 reg size can chickpeas rinsed

1 reg size can chopped tomatoes with juices

3 chicken bouillon cubes low salt or else don't add salt later

4 medium potatoes chopped in bite size chunks

about a 1/4 c of fresh basil and fresh parsley (from my window)

about 1/4 of fresh herbs for later too

1 sm zucchini add 30 min before serving

I threw everything in the pot at noon on high, at 4:30 I added the zucchini and it was ready at 5 pm. About 5 min before serving I added the fresh herbs I hand shredded to small bits. By adding the herbs in the beginning and again at the end it gives you more depth of flavor. I added about 2 teaspoons salt and to clear our noses LOTS of pepper i think I did about 30 grinds, but it was not strong it was just right-but if you are not sick i would maybe use just 15 grinds. This filled my big crockpot so i am thinking i will make grilled cheese sandwiches and soup tomorrow for lunch.

No comments: